Powders are something that absolutely must be included in any person’s makeup arsenal. It helps to give your look a very complete, soft, smooth finished complexion. But oily skinned gals need powder more than most. Why? Powder helps to set your foundation so it stays right where it’s supposed to be. People with oily skin can have some very serious problems with slipping, sliding, smudging foundation, and a really great powder can help remedy that for you. The second big reason why oily skin types need foundation more than most other people is that a powder will help to absorb any extra oils that are still sitting on your face after you’ve applied your foundation. They can also help a bit with excessive oil production that happens throughout your hectic day, so it’s totally necessary to always set with powder.
Powder Tips & Tricks
- Use the proper tools for the job. The best way to apply powder is with a typical kabuki brush or a fan kabuki brush. Depending on which you prefer to use, these will allow your powder to look more natural, instead of flat and mask-like which powder sponges are notorious for.
- Work in small areas of your face at a time, just like you would do with your foundation.
- Carefully choose the powder closest to your natural skin tone. If you’ll also be using bronzer, you can go up half a shade or one shade, but no more than that or you will end up looking fake.
- Apply powder to your neck and not just your face. If you’ll be showing part of your chest (such as with a V-neck), apply powder to the areas of your chest that won’t be covered by your top.
- If you have wrinkles, use your favorite kind of tiny, flat brush to apply your powder to these areas. This helps to remedy the issue of powder settling into your wrinkles, making them more defined.
The Correct Order To Apply Your Face Makeup
Depending on the skin imperfections you have or your desired end look, there is a number of facial makeup you may end up wanting to apply. If you apply them in the incorrect order, however, your look will end up flawed. You should apply your facial makeup in the following order if you want to get the best results:
2. Color Corrector
Now that we’ve gotten all of that out of the way, let’s get this countdown rolling! We hope you love our top five picks as much as we do!
Make Up Forever HD Microfinish Powder
This powder is a three-time award-winning product which offers a universal translucent finish that can be applied over the top of your foundation or worn all by itself.
This powder will set your foundation and slightly ‘mattify’ your skin without changing any of your natural colorings. It’s made out of a hundred percent mineral silica and works wonders on your skin. It softens the appearance of imperfections, fine lines, wrinkles, and pores with ease, while at the very same time totally evening out your complexion so that it appears glowing, radiant, and full of food health.
This powder has been dermatologist tested and is totally talc-free. Lightweight, silky texture and a flawless finish. What more could a girl possibly ask for?
- Silica (100%)
What People Are Saying
- “Really does wonders for setting my makeup and creating a nice finish without drying out my skin.”
- “I liked the lightness of this product, and I felt like it helped even out my skin tone and covered my flaws very well.”
- “It gives you that flow that you don’t get if you don’t put something over your foundation.”
- “I found this to be very long lasting as it helps my makeup stay longer and my face matte for a very long time.”
- “This is incredible for oily skin because it helps keep my face dry and subtly matte.”
What It Costs
A 0.3 ounce compact of Make Up Forever HD Microfinish Powder will run you around $34. This is a little bit on the pricey side of things, but well worth the money spent.
MAC Blot Pressed Powder
This is a great product for oily skin as it controls very well the oil that forms along the day on the skin. It covers very well and it helps the makeup stay throughout the day.
Silica, Kaolin, Water
What It Costs
A 0.42 ounce costs $29 which is fewer than other products in comparison.
Clinique Stay – Matte Sheer Pressed Powder
It is that great that it actually absorbs the shine from the oily face. The texture gives one a perfect fresh look and there is no need for touch-ups. Its coverage is sheer to medium but it does its job very well.
What It Costs
A 0.27 ounce costs $27. It is not cheap but it exists in a lot of shades and it is certainly a solution for those that have a special skin tone.
GIVENCHY Prisme Libre Loose Powder
It gives the perfect soft matte finish that we all love, especially those that have oily skin and see no solution for it. It comes in natural shades and ensures a long-lasting finish with uniform coverage.
What It Costs
A 0.42 ounce costs $56. It is the most expensive until now, but it guarantees a beautiful skin feel and you also do not need too much for uniform coverage.
LANCÔME TRANSLUCENCE Silky Loose Powder
The perfect choice for sheer coverage and matte finish. This is for those that do not have big skin problems but just oily skin. It can be worn throughout the day all day long as it has the shine control complex. The effect will be a soft and smooth skin.
Spherical particles of Mica and Silica
What It Costs
A 0.50 ounce costs $37. A great price choice as well and a good quality product.