Trying to find a good foundation with good coverage for acne-prone skin is difficult. Many ladies get discouraged when they have difficulty finding a foundation that wears well and doesn’t cause pimples. The good news is there are some great foundations for people with acne-prone skin. We’ve made that easier for you by doing our research and coming up with a pretty solid list of the five best foundations for acne-prone skin.
This list is composed of different brands and products found to be non-comedogenic, doesn’t promote sebum (oil) production, and made for oily and acne-prone skin. Online reviews were taken into consideration—everything had to be highly rated by customers. We compiled customer reviews from different online sources.
1. Almay Clear Complexion Makeup
Almay’s offering is a great foundation for acne-prone skin, indeed—it’s designed to combat acne while providing even, flawless coverage.
This fantastic foundation by Almay helps to clear up your skin while it conceals. This means you are left with a beautiful, shine-free, evenly-toned face without the clogged pores and oily feeling. The formula contains Almay’s patented blemisheal technology, with ingredients that are healthy (and promote healing) for your skin. A few of these items include salicylic acid, meadowsweet, licorice extract, and aloe. During a clinical study, 91% of all the women saw an overall improvement in the appearance of their skin.
Sounds too good to be true, right? Well, we did some research and found out that this is what previous customers have to say about their experience with Almay Clear Complexion Makeup:
- “My skin is acne-prone but usually dry. This foundation is creamy without giving me breakouts.”
- “Keeps my skin moisture balanced in the summer.”
- “Stays put all day long.”
- “Light and non-greasy… it also provided the coverage I needed for my blemish-prone skin.”
- “This product has helped with my acne and has cleared my skin up!”
The majority of the comments we read about this foundation were very positive. It’s also very reasonably priced when compared with some of the other alternatives. It’s available at many large retailers and beauty shops, though the price tends to be a bit cheaper online.
2. Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup by Clinique
Clinique has tested this specific formula for streaking or fading during an 88-degree heat with 80% humidity, and it passed the test! Due to the strenuous testing, this foundation by Clinique is going to stay on your face—right where it belongs. Those who live in tropical or humid climates (looking at you, gulf coast) might benefit from this formulation. This is for women with acne that tends to flare up during summer months. Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup has a patent-pending formula specifically created to absorb shine, control oil, and resist sweat. If you want to maintain that matte-look all day long without the need for blotting strips or a horrible acne breakout, then this is the foundation for you!
So what are previous customers saying about their experiences with Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup by Clinique? We checked it out, and this is what we found:
- “I have pretty bad acne scarring…I tried Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup and it worked as I needed it to!”
- “This foundation makes my skin look a lot less oily and stays on incredibly well.”
- “As someone who has battled with acne and acne scarring, I’ve always had an issue finding a foundation for my very oily skin…but this foundation does a great job covering my scarring and it looks ultra-natural!”
- “I used to have an oily gloss on my face by the end of the day, but with this makeup, I don’t!”
- “This oily-free foundation makes my skin feel clean during the day.”
Very positive ratings for this product should inspire some confidence. I’ve never tried this product myself, but I do have several items from Clinique that I use and I’ve always been really happy with their products.
3. MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation
MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation is a highly rated product for those who suffer from acne-prone skin and need a quality foundation.
This pick is a two in one: it’s a foundation and a powder, so there is no need to use another product on top of this one, a better choice for people with acne-prone skin. The formula offers a smooth, flawless matte look that has a velvety texture and a full-coverage finish without feeling cakey and heavy. A huge bonus is that Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation comes in a wide range of shades —a full 40! The shades range from the lightest possible shade to the darkest possible shade and cover everything between. This is nice if you’re looking for an exact match and having a hard time or if you have a unique skin color and want to make sure you find the perfect match.
We found that other customers just like you had the following things to say about their personal experiences with Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation:
- “I have sensitive skin, but this doesn’t cause any problems with breakouts or allergies.”
- “It looks so natural, but covers everything!”
- “This is the only powder foundation so far that has provided adequate oil control for my face.”
- “This product gives me a flawless face and I would not trade it for the world.”
- “It looks great, filling pores in around my nose area and giving an overall smooth look.”
You can’t go wrong with MAC—it’s a great choice for those who have difficulty finding a matching shade.
4. Vichy Dermablend Ultra Corrective Cream Stick Foundation
Vichy Dermablend Ultra Corrective Cream Stick Foundation is a great choice for those who have acne and need a great foundation. The stick packaging makes it easy to apply.
This stick foundation offers a high coverage cream with twelve hours of long-lasting wear. The stick form makes it easier to apply. The coverage provided helps to even out your skin tone with a lightweight feel. Vichy Dermablend Ultra Corrective Cream Stick Foundation has been designed to help you target and hide those little flaws like under-eye circles, blemishes, age spots, and scars. This unique formula is dermatologically tested to be good for sensitive and allergy-prone skin, and non-comedogenic. There is no fragrance, so it would be great for those makeup lovers who dislike that perfume-like smell.
We checked out the major online purchasing sites to see what real customers were saying about their own experiences with Vichy Dermablend Ultra Corrective Cream Stick Foundation, and here is what we found:
- “I have sensitive acne-prone skin and all concealers tended to slide off me by midday…that is until I found the Vichy Dermablend Concealer Sticks!”
- “Conceals the nastiest of blemishes and lasts all day.”
- “I do have sensitive skin, and this has not irritated my skin at all.”
- “I use this to cover fresh acne scars that are quite long and dark, and it does the trick!”
- “Worth the money as it lasts so long”
I’ve used this product, and I love it! My only reason for switching to a different foundation was that (I guess because of the stick formulation) it seemed to go really fast. It’s convenient to put on and I love that, but I felt like I was buying it quite often and was trying to cut down on the cost I put out for my makeup!
5. BareMinerals Ready Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20
BareMinerals Ready Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20 is a great product and makes the top of our list for several reasons.
Any type of mineral foundation is great for acne-prone skin since it is healthy for your skin, but BareMinerals takes the cake. It’s a pioneer in mineral foundations. BareMinerals Ready Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20 won 2012 Best of Beauty Award by Allure. It boasts up to twelve hours of beautiful medium to full coverage that looks and feels like your bare skin. As a bonus, you can also see a 108% increase in your skin’s natural hydration after one day of wear, allowing your skin to feel smoother, fresher, and younger-looking after use.
This formula isn’t only great for acne-prone skin—it’s great for all skin types! It covers everything from dark spots and wrinkles to acne and scars!
We checked out what other people were saying about BareMinerals Ready Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20 on the major online purchasing sites, and this is what we found:
- “I never break out and I feel like I’m not wearing anything at all!”
- “Very happy with the coverage. I cannot say enough about how happy I am with this product.”
- “All the benefits of a loose foundation, plus a bit more coverage for my melasma and acne scars.”
- “For me, this foundation is the best. It is perfect!”
- “It is so easy to use and a lot neater than loose foundation!”
This is what I’m currently using, though I also use the Stay-Matte from Clinique during the Summer months as the humidity seems to affect my acne.
I hope this article was helpful for you and made the decision a little bit easier! It’s tough to pick new makeup, and to me finding the right foundation is difficult.