Trying to find a good foundation that covers your blemishes without actually making them worse is hard work, and many ladies find themselves discouraged when they have difficulty finding a foundation that wears well and doesn’t promote pimples. The good news is that there are some really great foundations out there for people with acne prone skin – you just have to do some digging to find them. And I have great news – we’ve made that easier for you by doing our own research and coming up with a pretty solid list of the five best foundation for acne prone skin.
This list is composed of different brands and products that I’ve found to have characteristics that don’t clog pores, don’t promote sebum (oil) production, and are rated well specifically for those with oily skin and acne. Some other things that I looked for when creating this list were the reviews: everything had to be highly rated by customers. We compiled customer reviews from different online sources to ensure that we had more than just the box details and the good word of the company.
This isn’t meant to be a complete list by any means, but I think it will move you in the right direction and hopefully make your purchasing choice a bit easier. Where possible I’ve also linked to the products on Amazon, so feel free to try them out if you’re interested.
Almay’s offering is a great foundation for acne-prone skin, indeed – it’s designed to combat acne while providing even, flawless coverage.
Almay Clear Complexion Makeup
This fantastic foundation by Almay actually helps to clear up your skin while it conceals. This means you are left with a beautiful, shine-free, evenly toned face without the clogged pores and oily feeling. The formula contains Almay’s patented blemisheal technology, which includes a number of ingredients that are actually healthy (and promote healing) for your skin. A few of these items include: salicylic acid, meadowsweet, licorice extract, and aloe. In fact, during a clinical study, 91% of all the women saw an overall improvement in the appearance of their skin.
Sounds too good to be true, right? Well, we did some research and found out that this is what previous customers have to say about their experience with Almay Clear Complexion Makeup:
- “My skin is acne-prone but usually dry. This foundation is creamy without giving me breakouts.”
- “Keeps my skin moisture balanced in the summer.”
- “Stays put all day long.”
- “Light and non-greasy… it also provided the coverage I needed for my blemish-prone skin.”
- “This product has really helped with my acne and has actually cleared my skin up!”
The majority of the comments we read about this foundation were very positive, and it’s also very reasonably priced when compared with some of the other alternatives. It’s available at many large retailers and beauty shops, though the price tends to be a bit lower online.
Clinique makes great products, and has some of the highest customer satisfaction ratings as a whole for their products. You’ll love Stay-Matte Oil-Free.
Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup by Clinique
Clinique has tested this specific formula for streaking or fading during an 88 degree heat with 80% humidity, and it passed the test! Due to the strenuous testing, you know that this foundation by Clinique is going to stay on your face – right where it belongs. Those who live in tropical or humid climates (looking at you, gulf coasties) might really benefit from this formulation and should definitely consider it if their acne seems more aggressive during the summer months. Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup has a patent pending formula specifically created to absorb shine, control oil, and resist sweat. If you want to maintain that matte look all day long without the need for blotting strips or a horrible acne breakout because of wearing it, then this is definitely the foundation for you!
So what are previous customers saying about their experiences with Stay-Matte Oil Free Makeup by Clinique? We checked it out, and this is what we found:
- “I have pretty bad acne scarring…I tried Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup and it worked like I needed it to!”
- “This foundation makes my skin look a lot less oily and stays on incredibly well.”
- “As someone who has battled with acne and acne scarring, I’ve always had an issue finding a foundation for my very oily skin…but this foundation does a great job covering my scarring and it looks ultra natural!”
- “I used to have oily gloss on my face by the end of the day, but with this makeup I don’t!”
- “This oily-free foundation actually makes my skin feel clean during the day.”
Very positive ratings for this product should inspire some confidence. I’ve actually never tried this product myself, but I do have several items from Clinique that I use and I’ve always been really happy with their offerings.
Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation is a lesser known, but highly rated product for those who suffer from acne-prone skin and need a quality foundation.
Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation
This pick is a two in one: it’s a foundation and a powder, so there is no need to use another product on top of this one, which is certainly a better choice for people with acne prone skin. The formula offers a smooth, flawless matte look that has a velvety texture and a full-coverage finish without feeling cakey and heavy. A huge bonus is that Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation comes in an abnormally wide range of shades – a full 40 in fact! The shades range from the lightest possible shade to the darkest possible shade, and quite obviously cover everything between. This is really nice if you’re looking for an exact match and having a hard time or if you have a unique skin color and want to make sure you find the perfect match for you.
We found that other customers just like you had the following things to say about their personal experiences with Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation:
- “I have sensitive skin, but this doesn’t cause any problems with breakouts or allergies.”
- “It looks so natural, but covers everything!”
- “This is the only powder foundation so far that has provided adequate oil control for my face.”
- “This product gives me a flawless face and I would not trade it for the world.”
- “It looks great, filling pores in around my nose area and giving an overall smooth look.”
Reviews for this product are also very, very positive and as I mentioned before it’s a great choice for those who have difficulty finding a match shade.
Vichy Dermablend Ultra Corrective Cream Stick Foundation is a great choice for those who have acne and need a great foundation. The stick makes applying easy.
Vichy Dermablend Ultra Corrective Cream Stick Foundation
This stick foundation offers a high coverage cream with twelve hours of long lasting wear. The fact that it is in stick form makes it easier than ever to apply, and the coverage provided helps to even out your skin tone with a lightweight feel. Vichy Dermablend Ultra Corrective Cream Stick Foundation has been designed to help you target and hide those little flaws that make a big difference in your over all appearance, like: under eye circles, blemishes, age spots, and even scars. This unique formula is dermatologist tested to be good for sensitive and allergy-prone skin, and non-comedogenic. There is no fragrance, so it would be great for those makeup lovers who dislike that perfume-like smell attributed to many facial products as well.
We checked out the major online purchasing sites to see what real customers like you were saying about their own experiences with Vichy Dermablend Ultra Corrective Cream Stick Foundation, and here is what we found:
- “I have sensitive acne-prone skin and all concealers tended to slide off me by midday…that is, until I found the Vichy Dermablend Concealer Sticks!”
- “Conceals the nastiest of blemishes and lasts all day.”
- “I do have sensitive skin, and this has not irritated my skin at all.”
- “I use this to cover fresh acne scars that are quite long and dark, and it does the trick!”
- “Worth the money as it lasts so long”
I’ve actually used this product, and I love it! My only reason for switching to a different foundation was that (I guess because of the stick formulation) it seemed to ‘go’ really fast. It’s convenient to put on and I love that, but I felt like I was buying it quite often and was trying to cut down on the cost I put out for my makeup! If you’ve got the means though… :).
BareMinerals Ready Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20 is a great product and makes the top of our list for several reasons.
BareMinerals Ready Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20
Any type of mineral foundation is great for acne-prone skin since it is actually healthy for your skin, but BareMinerals takes the cake. It’s the original mineral foundation, and sometimes the first really is the best. BareMinerals Ready Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20 won the 2012 Best of Beauty Award by Allure. It boasts up to twelve hours of beautiful medium to full coverage that looks and feels like your bare skin. As a bonus, you can also see a 108% increase in your skins natural hydration after one day of wear, allowing your skin to feel smoother, fresher, and younger looking when you take it off than it did when you put it on.
This formula isn’t only great for acne prone skin either – it’s great for all skin types! Plus, it covers everything from dark spots and wrinkles to acne and scars!
Don’t take our word for it though. We checked out what other people were saying about BareMinerals Ready Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20 on the major online purchasing sites, and this is what we found:
- “I never break out and I feel like I’m not wearing anything at all!”
- “Very happy with the coverage. Can not say enough about how happy I am with this product.”
- “All the benefits of a loose foundation, plus a bit more coverage for my melisma and acne scars.”
- “For me, this foundation is the best. It is perfect!”
- “It is so easy to use and a lot neater than loose foundation!”
This is what I’m currently using, though I also will be using the Stay-Matte from Clinique during the Summer months as the humidity seems to really affect my acne.
I hope this article was helpful for you and made the decision a little bit easier! It’s tough to pick new makeup, and to me finding the right foundation (especially when you have acne) is one of the hardest jobs of all.