Oily Skin Problems
People with oily skin need a fantastic foundation, not just any foundation will do. Finding the best foundation for oily skin isn’t easy. If you choose the wrong one, it could just end up making your skin oilier, which is something every woman wants to avoid.
But what if you get a foundation that dries out your skin too much? Then you’re left with dry, flaky skin that is anything but appealing. Besides, who wants to go from one terrible extreme to the next?
Foundations are not without flaws. A liquid foundation can be too watery and wouldn’t last the whole day, while a powder foundation can clump up, looking anything but natural. Even the best foundations might not look great on your skin.
Why Is My Skin Oily?
Some people are simply prone to having oily skin because of genetics. Other people may end up with oily skin because they had over-dried their skin. Yes, it can happen! The foods you eat, what you drink, how well you take care of your skin, and a whole slew of other factors might contribute to your oily skin.
Here is a short list of reasons you have oily skin so that you can recognize the problems and work to correct it if possible.
- Over-drying of the skin
- Eating greasy foods
- Wearing slippery lip gloss (for the areas around your mouth)
- Drinking too many sugary beverages
- Using the wrong makeup
- Using the wrong facial wash
- Not washing your face every day
- Having your hair hanging in your face all of the time
What To Do?
Choose a foundation specifically designed for oily skin types. You’ll get the benefits right away when you do this. What benefits can you expect? It depends on the brand, but most brands have some of the same things in common. They offer a foundation that lasts long, less shine, better coverage while allowing your skin to breathe naturally, and minimizing both your pores and blemishes.
We’ve come up with a list of what we believe to be the five best foundations for oily skin. We’re certain that you will fall in love with at least one of them! So go ahead and let’s get started with our number five pick!
1. Chanel Perfection Lumiere, SPF 10
Chanel Perfection Lumiere, SPF 10: oil-free, great for oily skin, but pricey. This is a wonderful product that is made for those with oily skin. This line of liquid foundation by Chanel is a medium coverage with SPF10 to keep your skin safe as well as beautiful. It comes in an impressive array of sixteen individual shades. The only downside? It’s fairly pricey, as the brand name suggests, but keep in mind that you pay for what you get. Is it worth it? Well, we certainly think so, but you’ll just have to try it out for yourself to see if you agree.
Why It’s Good For Oily Skin: Chanel Perfection Lumiere, SPF 10 uses a completely oil-free formula which means you won’t be adding any oil to oily skin. The words oil-free are an oily skinned person’s best friend when it comes to picking out makeup. You will also get the awesome benefit of a wonderfully light texture that allows for a little bit of natural glow to shine through.
Price: This product can be purchased at many department stores or online. You will end up paying about $60, so it’s a splurge item.
- “It is one of the best foundations I have ever purchased.”
- “It lasts hours and hours.”
- “This foundation provides flawless, natural coverage.”
- “Does not melt away halfway throughout the day…no need for touch-ups.”
- “I can layer for more coverage in some areas and use very lightly in others as it doesn’t streak.”
2. Clarins Ever Matte Foundation
Clarins Ever Matte Foundation is another great product if you suffer from oily skin, but it’s also a bit more expensive. I’ve used a lot of Clarins products, and I’ve always been really happy with them. For whatever reason though, when I was researching for this list, I found that not everyone is crazy about Clarins.
Why It’s Good For Oily Skin: Clarins Ever Matte Foundation also offers a unique oil-free formula. It has a very soft texture that allows your skin to feel hydrated and nourished all day long, sealing in moisture so you feel comfortable without feeling slick or oily.
The texture and consistency of this foundation are said to be reminiscent of a BB cream. This unique foundation formula also allows you to look fresh and glowing without being shiny. A light to medium coverage means Clarins Ever Matte Foundation is much lighter than most options available to those with oily skin.
Price: Unfortunately, this product is very pricey and will probably set you back around $50. You can find it online or in many department stores and Macy’s.
- “Ever-Matte has extraordinary shine control but doesn’t have that extreme matte finish that some oil control foundations leave you with.”
- “The color is exceptionally stable.”
- “A great foundation with a nice smell.”
- “Feels very natural, like you’re not even wearing makeup.”
- “A great foundation for everyday wear!”
3. Boots No 7 Stay Perfect Foundation, SPF 15
Boots No 7 Stay Perfect Foundation, SPF 15 is a great mid-range product from a reputable company. It’s a great pick for your oily skin. Although I’ve never had the pleasure of using this product myself, most people seem to like it. This foundation has a medium finish that will last you somewhere around eight hours.
Why It’s Good For Oily Skin: According to the Boots website, this foundation is good for all skin types. It has skin-strengthening ceramides that help to combat dryness without causing your skin to become excessively oily.
It also contains vitamins A and E to help fight off any skin damage. It’s transfer-resistant and helps gently dry out any extra oils you have on your skin while maintaining that hydration. It has a perfect balance about it that oily skin types will fall in love with.
Price: You can usually pick up Boots No 7 Stay Perfect Foundation, SPF 15 for under $20.
- “The foundation goes on smooth and does stay on all day without feeling dry.”
- “This foundation comes in excellent, real skin tone colors.”
- “Does not cause breakouts or any other skin problems.”
- “It feels extremely nice and light on my skin.”
- “No shine, no greasy feel, no bad cosmetic smell, and it just stays put.”
4. Clarins Everlasting Foundation SPF 15
Clarins Everlasting Foundation SPF 15 has a variety of shades. It can keep your oily pores clear. It’s a long-wear foundation, lasting for 15 hours. Clarins Everlasting Foundation SPF 15 does all of this while protecting you from damaging sun exposure.
Always choose a foundation with SPF no matter what your skin type is. With 18 magnificent shades to choose from and a lightweight feel, this is a great choice for oily or combination skin types. This foundation by Lancome can be used for sheer coverage or can be built upon to offer nearly flawless coverage.
Why It’s Good For Oily Skin: This foundation has been designed without the use of added oils, so it won’t be adding anything to the oils you already have. It will also help to keep your skin looking fresher, less oily, and shine-free.
Price: You can find Clarins Everlasting Foundation SPF 15 for around $38.
- “The coverage is brilliant-it gives you a medium to full coverage and an almost matte finish.”
- “It doesn’t cause me to break out as other foundations do.”
- “Covers all uneven skin tone and blemishes, doesn’t oxidize or go patchy and never looks cakey.”
- “Does last all day long!”
- “Looks as good at the end of the day as when I first put it on.”
5. Vichy Dermablend Corrective Foundation SPF 35
This foundation will cover even the biggest, most noticeable imperfections. Redness, acne scars, pigmentation disorders—you name it, this stuff will cover it up.
It helps to keep your skin moisturized all day long without becoming oily. It can last up to 12 hours without smearing.
Why It’s Good For Oily Skin: The pigments found in this fantastic foundation make it amazingly resistant to perspiration which means that no matter how greasy your face gets throughout the day, this liquid foundation is staying right where it is.
This makeup is heavier than most, traditionally being used as a type of camouflage makeup. Any blemishes or skin imperfections you may have will be covered.
Price: Vichy Dermablend Corrective Foundation SPF 35 costs around $30, so it falls within the middling price range.
- “It looks smooth on the skin, makes pores look smaller, and it covers my rosacea exceptionally well.”
- “Gives a healthy glow to the skin without looking dewy.”
- “This is the only full coverage foundation that hasn’t broken me out.”
- “Stays more matte than other heavy foundations.”
- “No breakouts and perfect coverage.”
- “This is the only foundation that I have ever been able to wear and it lasts ALL day.”
6. BareMinerals Matte Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF-15
BareMinerals is the only powder foundation we have included on this list, but it’s well worth the rave. The powder foundation is light-weight and comes in such a wide array of colors. Matte Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF-15 has won several awards for being such a great foundation.
It doesn’t contain parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, synthetic dyes, petrochemicals, phthalates, GMOs, and Triclosan. This is an ideal foundation for sensitive skin types as well.
Why It’s Good For Oily Skin: This powder foundation absorbs excess oils in the skin without making you feel dried out. The creamy minerals are clinically proven to improve the appearance of skin over time.
Like most of the foundations we have included in this list, this one helps to keep your skin balanced—not oily nor dry. The difference is that this one has a different feel and a different coverage.
Price: Bare Minerals Matte Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 costs around $27.
- “Bare Minerals foundation is the best foundation ever made.’”
- “Stays on longer and helps maintain shine better than any other foundation.”
- “Provides great coverage on its own, but can also be paired with a powder if you desire.”
- “Covers much better than I had originally expected.”
- “I have skin problems and this foundation does not irritate my skin. I feel as though I have no makeup on.”
One of these six awesome foundations are bound to work great for you. No matter what your personal preferences are, there is something in this list that will work perfectly for you. Whether you like light, medium, or full coverage, liquid foundation or powder foundation, we got you covered!