People with oily skin know all too well the awful effects a foundation can have on your skin. Choose the wrong one, and your small problem is turned into a greasy mess. Let this problem go too long, and now you don’t just have a greasy mess, a ton of blemishes gets added. You don’t want this to happen to your skin, but what you supposed to do? It’s simple when you think about it. Since you don’t want more oils on your skin, then choose an oil-free foundation.
Although there are a lot of great oil-free foundations, it doesn’t mean that all oil-free foundations are fantastic. Even within the oil skin type, all skin is very different. Your personal problems may mean that an oil-free foundation that works wonders on your best friend’s face doesn’t work great for you. There are many things to take into consideration. If you have sensitive skin, check the ingredients for anything that can cause irritation or redness. If you aren’t just oily skinned, but also acne-prone, choose a foundation that is both oil-free and non-comedogenic.
Your personal preferences come into play too. You probably like a foundation with a light floral scent, or maybe you despise any type of smell at all. You might prefer something that is mostly or all-natural or perhaps choose something cruelty-free. Shade choice in a particular brand or product is also a big factor. If a product doesn’t come in your shade, you obviously can’t buy it.
Who Needs An Oil-Free Foundation?
Women with oily skin need an oil-free foundation, and we’ve just explained to you the reason behind it. But combination skin types may also benefit from using an oil-free foundation that isn’t too drying because the excessive oil production on your T-zone may worsen. The drier portions on your face are the reasons you need to opt for something that isn’t too drying. Women with sensitive skin (paired with any other skin type) need to choose an oil-free foundation. The oils contained in other foundations can trigger a reaction.
5 Best Oil-Free Foundations
1. Clarins Ever Matte Oil-Free Foundation
This foundation offers a fuller amount of coverage that still allows your skin to breathe naturally. The finish is a very natural, matte look that not only disguises excessive oils, it helps to get rid of them! Get all-day protection from this fluid foundation from the suns rays, all thanks to three powerful ingredients: Tanaka Powder, Carthusian Pink, and Chrysin.
Don’t worry about drying out though! While this foundation is fabulous at getting rid of any extra oils that may be sitting on your skin, it also helps to keep your skin smooth and hydrated at the very same time!
This product is also cruelty-free, which means that it’s never tested on animals – nice touch!
- Carthusian Pink
- Tanaka Powder
- Titanium Dioxide
- “With this foundation, I stay matte longer than with any other foundation, and it smells nice.”
- “It has a lovely botanical scent, and gives good coverage with a matte finish.”
- “This foundation has not caused any breakouts!”
- “Goes on smooth with a beautiful medium finish.”
- “This foundation lasts as much as five or six hours before it starts looking shiny at all.”
Cost: You can expect to spend $34 or so for Clarins Ever Matt Oil-Free Foundation in stores. You can find it on Amazon for $33.
2. Laura Mercier Oil-Free Supreme Foundation
This oil-free foundation is very lightweight yet gives you a very nice coverage. Your skin can breathe naturally while you wear this foundation, which lasts up to eight full hours.
If you want a flawless matte finish that minimizes the size of your pores and lets you look (and feel) soft and smooth, then this foundation is your ticket to the big time. The coverage starts off medium but is buildable so that you can increase that to a full coverage without looking cakey or fake.
This product comes in twelve shades ranging from porcelain ivory to rich sienna, so you should be able to find a great match for your natural skin tone.
- Aloe Bardadens
- Green Tea Leaf Extract
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin A
- Titanium Dioxide
- “It stays out and looks just like natural skin.”
- “This foundation blends very well but still gives a good amount of coverage when I need it.”
- “This is a great oil-free foundation where the coverage is buildable. It looks very natural even if I do a full coverage application.”
- “Does not exacerbate my acne-prone skin and helps me look flawless even if I have about breakouts.”
- “Helps to keep my combination skin blemish-free through all the seasons.”
Costs: Laura Mercier Oil-Free Supreme Foundation will run you about $43. It’s certainly a splurge item, but well worth the money spent. If you have the money, I say go for it.
3. Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint
Some people do not are very good friends with the foundation and prefer to use it to the minimum. However, the oily skin people, usually have acne or acne scars and need a bit of foundation to even the skin tone.
The Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint is a great solution as it is very lightweight you do not even feel it on the skin, let alone see it. It stays matte and does not become oily, but it does not offer too much coverage. It is best for those that have minimal acne, or acne scars. It offers skin protection against free radicals having SPF 30, it is dermatologically tested and non-comedogenic.
- “The texture is very good and easy to blend.”
- “Absolutely in love with the finish of this foundation.”
- “A good long-lasting product that gets me through the day!”
- “Best foundation ever lasts all day.”
- “This is my everyday go-to makeup product.”
Cost: You can expect to find it at $45.
4. Clinique Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup
This is a great formula to absorb shine, control oils, and resist heat.
Its liquid oil-free formula is good for any skin type. It has no fragrance and parabens. For the people with acne problems, this is great as it is non–acnegenic as well.
- Methyl Trimethicone
- Butylene Glycol
- Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate
- Laminaria Saccharina Extract
- Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract
- “I’ve been using it for more than 2 years and would not give it up.”
- “Looks great and stays all day.”
- “It gives me that even tone look without weighing my skin down.”
Cost: You can expect to spend $27 on this oil-free foundation.
5. Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation Mattifying Oil-Free
A great foundation that absorbs oil, mattifies, and camouflages all the skin imperfections. It gives a velvety matte finish and reduces the acne scars.
Due to the oil-free, noncomedogenic formula, it does not cause blemishes or clog pores. While it comes in a liquid formula, once on the face it transforms into a velvet matte finish. Advanced Cashmere Kaolinite Clay helps control oil during the day and keeps the skin clear from impurities.
- Advanced Cashmere Kaolinite Clay
- Methyl Perfluorobutyl Ether
- “The best foundation I have tried in many years.”
- “Great for my problematic skin type.”
- “It gives me more confidence in myself.”
Cost: You can expect to spend $56 on it.