If you have oily skin and you need a fantastic liquid foundation that won’t make you shinier or cause more blemishes, then you’ve come to the right place! We know that finding a foundation can be a real hassle when your skin tends to be oilier than most. If you are a liquid foundation lover, we know that the job is even harder. That’s why we’re here to help. We’re going to give you a list of what we believe to be the five best liquid foundations for oily skin, but first, we’d like to offer you a few pieces of oily-skinned-friendly advice.
Causes of Oily Skin
Oily skin is caused by the glands beneath your skin. Usually, when your skin becomes dried out, these glands go into overdrive because they think that it will protect and benefit your skin. This isn’t true, because oily skin is just as bad as dry skin, or maybe even worse. When oil production gets out of control, that oil seeps deep down into pores, along with dirt particles, and causing blemishes to erupt all over your face. Don’t get mad at your skin though. In its defense, it really does think it is simply helping you out.
Tips & Tricks For Oily Skin
- Keep your hair and hands away from your face. Both can transfer extra oils to your face, making your skin look even oilier than it naturally is. Not to mention the germs that come with that oil.
- Wash your face every night with a mild acne wash.
- Remove all makeup before going to bed.
- Carry blotting papers with you in case of shine emergencies that might occur throughout the day.
- Wash your pillowcases every other night, since the oils on your skin rub off on them during the night.
- Always choose the proper makeup. Never buy something simply because it’s on sale—it must be designed for your skin type. Those designed for dry skin will only exacerbate your oily skin issues, causing more blemishes.
- Moisturize your skin every single night with a light moisturizer designed for oily skin.
- Always protect your skin with sunblock or a foundation with a proper amount of added SPF
- Stay properly hydrated.
- Eat the right kinds of foods. This tip doesn’t help you if you continue to indulge in fatty, greasy foods, so get rid of those while you’re at it.
5 Best Liquid Foundations for Oily Skin
Let’s get on with our list of what we believe to be the five best liquid foundations for oily skin, plus the reason why we think they’re so great. Are you ready? Let’s get this top five countdown going then!
1. Clinique Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup
Clinique put this makeup to the test big time. Under the most extreme conditions possible, this fantastic makeup held up—no streaking, no fading, no smearing, no smudging. If that isn’t proof enough that this foundation will stay exactly where you want it to, no matter how oily your skin gets, then I’m not sure that anything will. A fantastic matte finish helps to dull out any shine you might have on your face, plus the patent-pending technology found inside this formula helps to absorb shine, control oil, and resist sweat! If the oils don’t have time to dive down deep into your pores, then you won’t have to worry about the blemishes those oils can cause. That’s why this foundation is the one you want when oil and shine cause problems. It comes in a variety of 20 shades, so you are sure to be able to find one that will work perfectly for your natural skin coloring.
- methyl trimethicone
- butylene glycol
- willow bark extract
- titanium dioxide
- “Best matte foundation I will ever try, because it provides great coverage, isn’t thick, but covers blemishes up like thicker foundations.”
- “This product does not cause me to break out, is matte, and remains that way for most of the day.”
- “The color matches my skin and gives me a nice glow without looking shiny.”
- “I love the tube, it’s very easy to control how much you want. Plus, the foundation is very natural looking and offers amazing coverage.”
- “The smell is nice, and I like how you can pick just how matte the result is.”
Price: You can find Clinique Stay-Matte Oil-Free Foundation for just about $23 at most stores.
2. Naked Foundation by Urban Decay
If you want a foundation that is so lightweight you seem to be not wearing anything at all, you’ve found it. This makeup lasts a very long time, so you can pretty much just apply it and go about your day. No need for countless makeup checks or touch-ups. The finish is a gorgeous demi-matte that is very natural. This makeup formula contains no oils or parabens. What this foundation does include is a bunch of ingredients that are good for your skin. Your skin will be protected against wrinkles and will stay fully hydrated without getting oily. There are 18 great shades to choose from.
- Butylene Glycol
- Titanium Dioxide
- “I was super impressed because it gives good coverage and a very natural finish.”
- “Superior buildability, exceptionally thin texture, very natural and almost invisible finish.”
- “I have sensitive skin, and I have never broken out from this foundation, plus it feels like I’m not even wearing any makeup, which is a huge plus.”
- “Easy to spread and blend; one pump is enough to give me good coverage while leaving my skin feeling as though I don’t have any makeup on.”
- “Love how it gives me flawless skin, is very light, natural, and beautiful!”
Price: Naked Foundation by Urban Decay is a little bit on the pricey side, costing around $39 at most major stores.
3. Chanel Perfection Lumiere with SPF 10
This foundation is completely oil-free, essential in a foundation when you have an oily skin type. The surprisingly light texture of this makeup allows for just a little bit of all-natural glow to shine through while simultaneously getting rid of any oily shine. There is an added SPF 10, which can help to provide your face with extra protection from the sun’s harmful rays. Just a heads up—sun protection is also one of your first defenses against premature aging. It has 16 shades to choose from.
- Titanium Dioxide
- Hydrated Silica
- Stearic Acid
- “I love this foundation. It leaves a flawless, sexy, dewy look, not heavy, and lasts until you remove it.”
- “The makeup is flawless and long-lasting; everyone is always asking me what I’m using.”
- “It’s super creamy and it gives you coverage that makes your skin look flawless, NOT cakey or oily.”
- “It’s worth it because a little goes a long way and the pump lets you control how much product you want.”
- “This is somewhat sheer but still gives good coverage and it smells likes roses.”
Price: Chanel Perfection Lumiere with SPF 10 will run you around $55 at most major retailers, both online and off.
4. Vichy Dermablend Corrective Foundation with SPF 35
This is a highly pigmented foundation that is also amazingly resistant to sweat. No matter how greasy or oily your face gets, this stuff will stay right where it needs to be. This foundation is heavier than most as it has been traditionally used as a type of camouflage makeup. If you happen to be a person with oily skin who also suffers from a severe amount of discoloration, redness, blemishes, acne scars, or other various blemishes, then this is your HG (Holy Grail) foundation. There are only 4 available shades.
- Magnesium Sulfate
- “Covers everything! Acne, large pores, unevenness- everything!”
- “Doesn’t look caked on, gives a nice matte (yet natural) finish, and makes the skin look flawless.”
- “Just a little bit goes a long way, and it always looks so natural and matte, no matter how much you put on.”
- “This is the only full coverage foundation that hasn’t broken me out, and it stays more matte than other heavy foundations.”
- “This is the only foundation that I have ever been able to wear and it lasts ALL day long, WITHOUT getting fake or cakey looking.”
Price: Vichy Dermablend Corrective Foundation with SPF 35 is a tad bit pricey, costing around $30 a tube at most major drugstores and cosmetic stores.
5. Boots No 7 Stay Perfect Foundation with SPF 15
This foundation offers a medium finish that will last upwards of eight hours without smearing, cracking, caking, etc. It feels soft and silky against your skin, keeping your skin moisturized and perfect looking no matter how long your day is. There are skin-strengthening ingredients which help to combat over-drying and damage. There is just the smallest hint of radiance so that your skin will be flattered no matter what type of lighting you’re under. SPF 15 provides extra sun protection against UVA and UVB rays, and the effortless coverage won’t clog up your pores. It’s also hypo-allergenic, dermatologist tested, and comes in a wide variety of shades that you are sure to fall in love with!
- Titanium Dioxide
- “This goes on very smooth, and offers good medium coverage overall, with a nice natural matte finish.”
- “I found a perfect color match for my skin, blends in like a second skin, and is very reasonably priced.”
- “I used to have horrible problem skin and still have some slight scarring and uneven tones but the coverage it offers is perfect for me!”
- “It’s a nice feeling, and looks beautiful once it’s applied.”
- “Makes the skin look very natural, is easy to buff right into the skin, and lasts all day long!
Price: Boots No 7 Stay Perfect Foundation with SPF 15 is pretty easy on the pocket, costing less than $15 at most major stores.
Those are what we believe to be the top five liquid foundations for people with oily skin. We hope that you found your perfect match in our list! If you have any questions or comments about the foundations we have chosen, or if you would like to tell us what you think should have made the list but didn’t, please feel free to do so in the comments below. We always love to hear what our readers have to say.