Finding a great cleanser is hard no matter what type of skin you have. But finding one for oily skin is harder. You want the excess oils removed from your skin but you don’t want to dry it out totally. Many facial washes will fall under one of two categories: those that add even more grease to your skin, causing it to become even slicker and have more blemishes, or those that take out way too many natural oils, causing your skin to become dry and flaky.
Finding a cleanser that gives you the perfect balance—not too oily, not too dry—is tough. Take a look at our top five best cleansers for oily skin and give them a try. We hope that one of them will work perfectly for you. Check them out!
1. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Cleanser with Pink Grapefruit
This cleanser will clear up the acne caused by oily skin without stripping your skin of its natural oils. It exfoliates, lifts sebum out of your pores, and smells good. It comes with a blast of pink grapefruit extract, which is invigorating and uplifting. Start your day with a clean, fresh feeling and a delicious scent!
Why It’s Good? It’s oil-free, which is something you should always look for in a cleanser if you have an oily skin type. It’s non-comedogenic, which means it won’t clog your pores. This cleanser contains the maximum allowed amount of salicylic acid. It is formulated using Neutrogena’s Micro Clear technology to help clear up your acne problems. Not only does it clear up your acne, but everyday use of this product keeps blemishes at bay. If you want to eliminate oil and dirt without over-drying your skin, this is the cleanser for you.
- “It smells amazing and hydrates my skin- leaving it clean, fresh, and smooth!”
- “After the very first use I noticed that my blackheads had become a lot smaller.”
- “This product doesn’t leave my face red and dry.”
- “Works well and smells great.”
- “The best product! 100% recommend!”
Cost: You can find Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Cleanser with Pink Grapefruit at most major drug stores for less than $8, or on Amazon for less than $7. This means that this cleanser is a huge bargain item that anyone can afford.
2. Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash
This super sudsy foaming cleanser will gently remove every single trace of dirt and makeup so that your skin is left feeling refreshed and clean. It’s soap-free, alcohol-free, pH balanced, and non-comedogenic. Although we’ve listed it here for oily skin types, dry skin types can also use this product. It’s fantastic for all skin types!
Why It’s Good? There is no pore-clogging moisturizer contained in this cleanser’s formula, so no additional oils will be placed on your skin. It also doesn’t cause an acne breakout. It offers you that perfect balance where your skin will be free of excessive oils but will never be dried out. It not only removes excessive oils and dirt, but it also gets rid of impurities and environmental pollutants.
- “It removes my makeup well, and is overall the best cleanser I’ve found.”
- “A little goes a long way, does not dry out the skin, and is fragrance-free.”
- “This cleanser gets rid of makeup and is very, very gentle.”
- “It balances out the pH of your skin.”
- “I’ve noticed that my oily areas are no longer as oily, and my dry areas are no longer dry.”
Cost: You can find Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash at most major drug stores for under $10, and at Amazon for just a little over $6.
3. Oligopur Purifying Cleansing Gel
This is a very gentle gel cleanser that greatly reduces the oily sheen on your face without drying your skin out. It’s been purified with a natural antibacterial seaweed extract, leaving the skin feeling clean and fresh. You will fall in love with the way your skin feels after just one wash with this great cleanser.
Why It’s Good? This cleanser is formulated with a base of marine active agents that help fight against greasy skin without dehydrating it. It purges the excess oils off your skin even as it evens your skin’s natural tone and texture. It helps you keep that perfect balance—not too oily, not too dry.
- “Product rinses off with no residue left behind, and face feels really great after use.”
- “It smells very pleasant and foams extremely well.”
- “The gel lathers up very well and it only takes a very little bit to cleanse the face.”
- “Cleans the makeup and grime off my face without stripping it and leaving it feeling tight and itchy.”
- “An excellent product that is well worth the money.”
Cost: You can find Oligopur Purifying Cleansing Gel for roughly $30 at most major drug stores, and for about $19 on Amazon.
4. Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser
This product is guaranteed to rinse clean so that no greasy residues are left on your skin. It’s dermatologist-recommended, is non-comedogenic, and fragrance-free. This cleanser is great not only oily skin but also for normal or sensitive skin. It is gentle enough for everyday use so you can begin seeing drastic results quicker.
Why It’s Good? This cleanser has been designed to remove oils, dirt, and makeup from the surface of your skin without leaving it feeling tight, overly dried, or flaky. Since it rinses clean, there is no pore-clogging residue left. Effective yet gentle, this cleanser will keep your oily skin clean, healthy, and fresh feeling every single day.
- “I use it twice a day, and I love it. It never leaves my skin feeling dried out!”
- “Leaves my skin feeling clean. I would recommend it!”
- “A gentle cleanser that easily gets off makeup and leaves my skin feeling clean and natural.”
- “It’s not at all drying or harsh, and I like that it has very little fragrance.”
- “This gets your skin clean without drying you out. My skin never feels tight after I use this!”
Cost: You can find Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser for between $8 and $9 at most drugstores, and for less than $7 on Amazon.
5. Biore Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser
Get an invigorating clean with this blemish-fighting formula. Oil, dirt, and makeup doesn’t stand a chance against this refreshing liquid cleanser. It’s designed to help stop blemishes in their tracks and leave your skin feeling soft, fresh, and vibrant.
Why It’s Good? This cleanser contains salicylic acid to help fight off blemish breakouts, a huge problem with oily skin. It’s oil-free, so you don’t have to worry about additional oils being added to your skin. It gets rid of excessive oil, dirt, and makeup. It doesn’t strip your skin, so you won’t be left feeling tight and dry. This cleanser is gentle enough for everyday use. You can prevent and treat blemishes every single day for the best results.
- “The packaging is awesome. It has a pump which can lock shut which is great for traveling”
- “This cleanser is the best at removing my makeup. It takes everything right off!”
- “This cleansed my oily skin without stripping it.”
- “It lathers well and smells very nice.”
- “It cleans up all of the oil and improves my skin like a pro!”
Cost: You can find Biore Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser for around $8 at most drugstores, and around $7 on Amazon. It’s affordable, and a little goes a very long way, so each purchase should last you quite some time.
Have you used one of the five cleansers we mentioned and want to share your personal experience with us? Or do you think a product we didn’t mention should have been listed here? Tell us all about it in the comments below! We look forward to hearing what you have to say!