Whatever skin you have, whether it’s oily, dry, combination, or normal skin, you’d want a non-comedogenic foundation. What is non-comedogenic, and why? Keep reading to find out.
What does non-comedogenic mean?
Non-Comedogenic means that the foundation has been specially designed to not clog your pores. Clogged pores lead to acne breakouts, and no woman wants that! Certain skin types will be more prone to clogged pores and the blemishes that go with them, but remember, all women can develop blemishes if they aren’t using the right kind of foundation. Oily skin types and combination skin types will have a harder battle since the excessive oils on their skins will work to clog up their pores—no makeup necessary! People with dry skin will not have that problem, but that doesn’t mean they won’t have any problem at all. Enough sweat, dirt, or makeup can cause any pores to become clogged.
What are the 10 best non-comedogenic foundations?
There are a ton of non-comedogenic foundations, but not all of these have been created equal. Some will work well, and others will not. A lot of this depends on the brand and the foundation’s exact formula, but don’t forget that everyone’s skin is different. What works for one person may not work well for another and vice versa. It’s a hit and miss, until you find your match.
Let’s get this countdown started. Check them out!
1. Ahava Dead Sea Algae Rich Foundation
This is an extremely light foundation that gives a surprisingly full amount of coverage. It can be used on its own, with primer, before powder, or with both. Use this foundation to create a flawless complexion that is naturally hydrated and smooth. The formula is free of oils, dyes, fragrance, and parabens. It contains dead sea minerals, natural pigments, and Dunaliella algae, all of which are fantastic for your skin. It’s been allergy tested and deemed perfect for all skin types, even the most sensitive ones. The brand also takes pride that they do not ever test on animals—it’s cruelty free!
Best For These Skin Types: Aging, Sensitive
This non-comedogenic foundation works best for aging skin for many reasons. It helps improve the skin’s natural texture and restore hydration levels. This is a huge problem for aging skin, which can lose moisture and dry out a lot quicker than youthful skin. This foundation will never settle into fine lines or wrinkles either, so aging skin types need not worry about their slight imperfections becoming more noticeable!
Since this foundation has been allergy tested, it is also very good for sensitive skin types. It’s free of anything that might irritate sensitive skin, including the dyes and fragrances that are the usual cause of irritation. Use this foundation without the usual worries of whether or not it will cause a reaction.
What People Are Saying:
- “I love that this foundation! It is practically all-natural and isn’t tested on animals!”
- “I have mature, sensitive skin, and not only does this product not cause me to have an allergic reaction, but it has made my skin look more youthful!”
- “Hydrates my skin without making my skin oily.”
- “Works wonders on my mature, dry, sensitive skin! I wouldn’t be caught without it!”
- “No fragrance, never tested on animals, never oily, hydrates my skin perfectly- it doesn’t get any better than that.”
Price: You can find Ahava Dead Sea Algae Rich Foundation for around $36 at most major cosmetic or drug stores.
2. Cover FX Natural Finish Oil Free Foundation
This water-based formula has been created using Vitamin C and E, which have been clinically proven to soothe the skin and reduce redness. As a bonus, it also protects your skin from premature aging. You can find this foundation in 24 different shades. It is made without parabens, sulfates, phthalates, fragrance, gluten, mineral oil, or talc. Besides being non-comedogenic and vegan, this fantastic foundation is also clinically tested (and approved) for sensitive skin. You can choose to go for sheer or full coverage, or anything in between since this is an extremely buildable formula.
Best For These Skin Types: Oily, Sensitive, Aging
Since the formula is oil-free, this foundation is perfect for oily skin. It helps to keep your skin perfectly hydrated without ever looking greasy or shiny. Instead of that dreaded shine, you can have a gorgeous glow!
Sensitive skin types will love this foundation because it’s free of anything that may irritate. It’s also been clinically proven to be great for sensitive skin.
Aging types will also benefit from this foundation because the formula has been specially designed to help prevent premature aging while giving a naturally youthful finish.
What People Are Saying
- “This foundation offers beautiful medium coverage in a hydrating foundation that is surprisingly great for sensitive skin.”
- “It doesn’t irritate, provides me very good coverage, and even leaves my skin looking younger!”
- “I have acne and overall pretty red skin, and was amazed that this foundation covered all of my acne without concealer!”
- “Hydrates well and blends exceptionally well.”
- “I have very oily skin, and this lasts around five hours before any touch-ups are needed, and I have also had no breakouts with it!”
Price: You can find Cover FX Natural Finish Oil-Free Foundation for around $40 at most stores. It’s a little pricey, but worth it!
3. Clean Liquid Makeup for Normal Skin by Cover Girl
This foundation comes to you by the easy, breezy, beautiful brand, Cover Girl. It’s a water-based formula that contains a lot of Noxzema ingredients which have proven to be good for your skin. Your skin will be able to breathe instead of suffocating under heavy makeup. It glides on easily, blends perfectly, and looks completely natural. It’s available in twelve different shades, ranging from Ivory to Tawny, so finding a good match should be fairly easy.
Best For These Skin Types: Normal
This foundation has been formulated specifically for normal skin. You can also find this same formula with a bit of tweaking to match sensitive or oily skin types as well. If you are blessed with a normal skin type, this is the foundation on our list that would be best for you!
What People Are Saying:
- “Cover Girl has the perfect color match, with the Noxzema ingredients cleaning the skin, and it gets even better because it hydrates!”
- “This foundation has taken me through my oily-laden teen years up to the drier skin in my golden years!”
- “Great foundation for long last with a natural look. Don’t know what I’d do without it!”
- “It’s so easy to apply and evens out my skin tone so well. It lasts and you can’t beat the price!”
- “It’s very light, you only need to use a dab, and looks natural.”
Price: You can find Clean Liquid Makeup for Normal Skin by Cover Girl for less than $8 at most major stores, and for as little as $5 at some discount stores.
4. Perfection Lumiere by Chanel
This foundation offers something along the lines of a matte-satin finish. It gives medium coverage that gives you a lovely natural glowing look. This foundation will never look heavy. It feels amazingly light, so light you may even forget that you’re wearing it. There is a slight perfume-like fragrance, but it’s very light and fades after only a few quick minutes. Honestly, the smell is kind of nice and very Chanel like.
Best For These Skin Types: Dry, Aging
Dry skin types will love how hydrating this formula is, without going over the top. It is surprisingly light for a foundation best suited to dry skin, so if you have been searching for that light finish that works well with your dry skin, you’ve found it, honey!
Aging skin types will love how youthful their skin appears when wearing this foundation. It even works to keep your all-natural skin looking more youthful than before you began wearing this makeup. It will not settle into fine lines or wrinkles like some cakey foundations. It keeps aging skin well hydrated without being too oily.
What People Are Saying:
- “I do have dry patches around my face and this foundation surprisingly doesn’t make them appear worse.”
- “I have dry skin, and this foundation makes my skin look flawless and perfect.”
- “I have had a lot of compliments while wearing this foundation.”
- “It doesn’t clog my pores nor does it may my skin dry.”
- “I love the scent. It’s a gentle floral scent that is there for a few minutes then fades away.”
Price: It’s a splurge at around $55 for Perfection Lumiere by Chanel.
5. Pure Luxe Powder Foundation
This foundation is great at reducing current breakouts and preventing future skin problems. It’s also gentle enough for the most sensitive skin types, and reasonably priced. When looking for your color match, you have twelve fantastic shades to choose from that range from Ivory to Marlene. The shades are split into three varying undertones: neutral, warm yellow, and cool pink undertones. All of the foundations are hand-blended. The entire brand is also 100% cruelty-free, so they never test their products on animals. There are no oils, waxes, or artificial preservatives. Your face will never feel heavy or greasy.
Best For These Skin Types: Sensitive, Oily
This gentle foundation is formulated to be perfect for even the most sensitive skin types. It has been made without all of those harsh irritants, allowing you to wear this product without fear of an allergic reaction—unless you have one of those very rare allergies to one of the ingredients in the formula. This is very rare but should be considered.
This foundation is also great for oily skin. It offers full coverage. The formula is water-resistant, and because of this, it resists well against sweat and oils too. It will stay on all day long, no touch-ups necessary!
What People Are Saying:
- “This foundation is very reasonably priced and best of all, it doesn’t cause any breakouts!”
- “Since I’ve made the switch to this mineral type foundation, I’ve had less clogged pores and pimples.”
- “Silky and buildable, with an incredible amount of coverage.”
- “Controls excessive oils, doesn’t fade as the day wears on, and never cakes.”
- “Shades match well with my skin tone, and the foundation applies smoothly. Never greasy!”
Price: You can get a jar of Pure Luxe Powder Foundation for around $12. You have the option to get a refill for around $8.
6. Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Powder Foundation
This is a compact powder foundation that enhances your natural skin through the pure minerals contained in the formula. It creates a radiant, glowing complexion that looks completely natural, so no one will even be able to tell you’re wearing makeup! Time-released antioxidants and bendable pressed minerals, along with an added SPF20 make up this sheer to medium coverage foundation. The foundation has been created without unnecessary additives—no oils or fragrances in this foundation. It even comes dermatologist recommended.
Best For These Skin Types: Sensitive, Oily, Normal
Sensitive skin types will love that this foundation comes without any oils or fragrances which can cause allergic reactions. Some people have allergic reactions to natural minerals, but if you haven’t had any reactions to one of these ingredients, you shouldn’t have any problems with this one.
Oily skin types will love that this formula is free, so no extra oils will be added to your already oily skin. The fact that this foundation is a powder also helps because powder foundations tend to absorb excess oils on top of the skin much better than other types of makeup.
Normal skin types will love this foundation because it will keep their perfect skin glowing. Non-Comedogenic means that it won’t blog your pores and cause acne blemishes. Oil-free means that you won’t look greasy or have excessive oils produced throughout the day. All in all, this foundation is great at keeping your normal skin, well, normal.
What People Are Saying:
- “It does not settle into fine lines, and it never looks mask-like.”
- “You can control how much coverage you want without feeling like its caked-on or too sheer.”
- “It’s medium coverage covers dark circles, acne, and redness well.”
- “I have sensitive, acne-prone skin and this does not irritate it.”
- “This foundation is fabulous. I love it. Under the powder, it doesn’t even feel flaky or sticky.”
Price: It ranges from $8 to $9.
7. Revlon Color Stay Foundation
You can build the coverage of this foundation to your personal preference, from sheer to full, without ever looking caked on or unnatural. The result is very lightweight and matte. Of course, this foundation has the Color Stay formula, which means that it can stay on for hours, even up to a full day, without ever needing to be touched up. Added SPF 15 keeps your skin protected from the sun’s damaging rays, and the oil-free formula means your skin will stay hydrated without becoming greasy. There is also a boatload of shades to choose from, so you should be able to find one that matches well with your natural skin tone.
Works Best For These Skin Types: Oily
The lightweight formula is completely oil-free, so oily skin types will fall in love with it. The long-lasting coverage means that no matter how oily your skin will be, this foundation will never slip, slide, or smudge on your face. The fantastic matte finish helps to dull down shine. Since it’s on our top ten list, it will help to keep your blemishes to a minimum and prevent more from happening.
What People Are Saying:
- “This is the best foundation for me, and I have tried lots. It goes on smooth and provides good coverage.”
- “Matches my skin tone, does not cake, and stays where I put it for hours.”
- “It’s amazing, especially if you have acne and need a foundation that offers full coverage without adding even more acne to the problem!”
- “Very long-lasting. I’ve gone wearing it from 6 am to 10 pm and it does not wear off!”
- “This has never made me break out and I think it has improved my skin!”
Price: You will probably end up paying around $13 for the Revlon Color Stay Foundation at most major drugstores or cosmetic stores, and less than $10 for a bottle on Amazon.
8. Bloom Cosmetics Mineral Plus Liquid Foundation
This mineral plus liquid foundation offers a medium to full coverage. It was created in collaboration with the international makeup artist, Stoj Bulic. It’s full of ingredients that have healthy properties for your skin, including vitamins and antioxidants. The formula includes an all-natural SPF to protect your skin all day long. It won’t clog your pores or cause blemish breakouts.
Best For These Skin Types: Sensitive, Dry, Aging
Sensitive skin types will enjoy the soothing effects that this formula has on the skin. It contains no major irritants that could further cause irritation or redness.
Dry skin types will love the all-natural oils contained inside of this formula. Jojoba seed oil and rosehip oil are both fantastic hydrants that will leave your dry skin feeling moist and smooth without looking greasy. Say goodbye to your dry cracked skin and hello to a brand new, smooth you.
Aging skin will benefit greatly from the custom blend of earth derived minerals which reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Your skin will also be protected and hydrated, which is a combination that certainly works for mature skin types.
What People Are Saying:
- “Hands down the best mineral powder I’d tried. Great coverage for my light acne scars and doesn’t break me out.”
- “Will cover all imperfections with little or no need for concealer.”
- “This foundation gives a nice, soft glow to the skin, and may be used over foundation or on its own.”
- “It evens out my skin tone very well and feels very natural.”
- “I’m impressed with the way this foundation covers up all my flaws.”
Price: Bloom Cosmetics Mineral Plus Liquid Foundation costs around $45 at most cosmetic stores. Since a little bit goes a long way, each bottle of this foundation lasts for a long time, making it well worth the money you spend.
9. Lorac Natural Performance Foundation
This foundation gives you a picture-perfect type of coverage that stays right where it needs to be all day long. It’s oil, paraben, and fragrance-free, and loaded with fantastic ingredients that help to protect, nourish, and soothe your sensitive skin. Instead of irritation, all you get is a natural, long-lasting finish that makes you look and feel fabulous.
Best For These Skin Types: Sensitive, Dry, Oily, Combination, Normal
This formula contains no traces of parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, synthetic dyes, or phthalates. It is designed to soothe, protect, and nourish your sensitive skin. Dry skin types will benefit highly from the fantastic hydration properties this foundation contains. People with oily skin will love that this foundation hydrates without any added oils. Since this foundation is good for both oily and dry skin types, it’s perfect for combination skin. Normal skin users can also reap the benefits of this fantastic foundation. It’s great for all skin types.
What People Are Saying:
- “Perfect consistency and great coverage.”
- “This is a super product and with a wonderful dispenser that makes application easy!”
- “This foundation doesn’t break me out, it covers well, and I love the texture.”
- “I love the consistency of this foundation. It’s very fluid, not thick or gloopy at all.”
- “I am in love with the fact that this foundation doesn’t change or color or yellow-out throughout the day!”
Price: Lorac Natural Performance Foundation costs around $36 at most major cosmetic or drugstores. It’s a little harder to find in local stores, so your best bet is to search online.
10. Philosophy The Supernatural Airbrush Canvas Foundation
This amazing foundation conceals, camouflage, and provides SPF protection from the sun’s damaging rays. This powder is highly pigmented and talc-free. It offers you a smooth, airbrushed appearance that is very photo-friendly. You’ll be surprised at just how easy this multitasking foundation is, especially with you see the dramatic results.
Best For These Skin Types: All skin types
No matter what type of skin you might own, this foundation will work wonders for you. Sensitive skin types should have no problems with irritation or redness, while normal skin types will love how perfect their skin continues to look. Oils on the skin will easily be absorbed while dry skin will be perfectly hydrated. It is great for all skin types—you will never have to change your foundation again! It will work with each change in the season, each year that you grow older, and for every occasion you need it for.
What People Are Saying:
- “I have a ruddy complexion, and this makeup covers the ruddy with just a couple of sweeps.”
- “This lasts a lot longer than liquid makeup does, and it is a LOT less messy.”
- “Very easy application, smooth results, and it even looks as though you don’t have anything on!”
- “You can sleep in this makeup and it doesn’t clog pores or cause breakouts.”
- “It covers and wears well, no sunscreen, powder, or concealer needed.”
Price: Philosophy The Supernatural Airbrush Canvas Foundation costs around $35 for a jar. It’s a splurge but totally worth it!
There you go, ladies! Those are our picks for the ten best non-comedogenic foundations. We hope that you made your perfect foundation match. If you’ve already tried one of the foundations we included on our list and want to tell us all about your personal experience, or if you want to tell us about another foundation that you think should have been on the list but didn’t make it, let us know all about it in the comments below! We look forward to hearing from you.