Foundations with a matte finish have become very popular recently. They have always been popular with people who have oily skin since they work to dull down shine effectively. The matte look goes well with any type of skin type, coloring, or bone structure.
What Is A Matte Finish?
A matte finish is when your skin has little to no shine to it. This is the reason the look is so favored by women with oily skin. A matte finish is never glossy, sparkly, or dewy looking. They typically help to absorb the extra oils in your skin better than foundations with bright or shiny finishes. A matte finish is also much more natural and down to earth looking than a shiny or glowy finish.
Who Should Use Matte Foundations?
Anyone with an oily skin type should use a matte foundation, but also suits women who want a very natural, earthy look. People who tend to dislike foundations that shine, glow, or sparkle should also choose matte. A very good use for matte foundations is for the natural look. A bit of matte foundation, a pinch of blush on your cheeks, and a tiny bit of neutral eyeshadow with chapstick is a gorgeous look.
Who Shouldn’t Use Matte Foundation?
A matte finish looks great on anyone, but if you tend to have very dull, sallow, or flat skin, you may want to opt for a skin brightening foundation, or one with a built-in glow or shine instead. A matte foundation, in this case, may only end up making your skin look duller.
Check out what we believe to be the ten best matte foundations- you’ll be glad that you did.
1. Stay Matte Oil-Free Makeup by Clinique
This foundation was tested by Clinique under the most extreme conditions possible to see how it holds up as far as streaking or fading, and it passed with flying colors. This is solid proof that this foundation will stay where you put for as long as you need it to, and the matte finish dulls out and shine. The formula has a patent-pending technology designed to absorb any shine, control all oils, and even resist sweat. No sweat and no oils mean a much smaller chance that you will have acne break out. If you don’t have excess oils or sweaty skin, it won’t find it’s way down into your pores to cause acne, right? It also comes in 20 fantastic shades.
- methyl trimethicone
- butylene glycol
- willow bark extract
- titanium dioxide
- “It is so lightweight, with great coverage, but most importantly it does NOT cause breakouts!”
- “It stays put all day long and I don’t end up feeling like it looks gray or splotchy.”
- “I have bad allergies, and I can use this around my eyes without any problems.”
- “This makes the oils on my skin more controlled and is a true matte finish.”
- “I have acne problems and this foundation doesn’t break me out at all.”
Price: You can find Stay Matte Oil Free Foundation by Clinique for around $23 at most major stores.
2. Clarins Ever Matte Foundation
This foundation has a light cucumber scent. It is the signature scent that distinguishes the Clarins brand. This gorgeous, lightweight, matte foundation comes in a very unique easy to use a plastic bottle for the ultimate ease in application.
The texture is thicker than you would typically expect in a foundation, feeling almost more like a BB Cream , but once you’re wearing it, it feels surprisingly lightweight and natural.
An added SPF 15 helps protect your skin from the sun’s UVA and UVB rays. It’s available in ten shades, so you should be able to find something fairly close to your exact skin tone.
- Titanium Dioxide (2.3%)
- Citric Acid
- “This foundation offers medium coverage with a nice texture, and I am in love with it.”
- “This smell is very fresh, and this foundation keeps my skin looking perfect all day long.”
- “The color matches my skin tone, has a natural finish, light to medium buildable coverage, light texture, matte finish, and very long-wearing!”
- “Ever-Matte offers you extraordinary shine control without that extreme matte finish that some oil-control foundations leave you with.”
- “The color is exceptionally stable. It does not oxidize and the oil does not breakthrough.”
Price: You can expect to pay around $35 for the Clarins Ever Matte Foundation.
3. Mary Kay TimeWise Matte-Wear Liquid Foundation
This nonirritating foundation goes on very smoothly and doesn’t leave any annoying streaks behind in the process. The coverage you get is very buildable and great for people with sensitive skin.
When you put on this makeup, you will love how lightweight it feels. You may even forget that you are wearing any makeup at all! A good majority of skin problems are covered while the long-lasting foundation helps your skin to look firmer, younger, and healthier than before you began wearing it. This is because of an infusion of Vitamin E and a blend of peptides that are exceptionally good for your skin.
Another huge bonus is that this gorgeous foundation is available in 23 diverse shades, so we’re positive that you can find the shade that’s perfect for you.
- Butylene Glycol
- Propylene Glycol
- Lactic Acid
- Titanium Dioxide
- “This is a great, true matte wear foundation that lasts all day and is transfer resistant.”
- “It makes you look so natural, and flawless- not cakey at all.”
- “This foundation gives you a very natural matte finish that is very pretty.”
- “These foundations help to control the oils from my skin, and it doesn’t make you break out in the process.”
- “This foundation controls my oil better than the rest. It also has great coverage and a lot of colors to choose from.”
Price: This foundation is incredibly affordable, especially for a Mary Kay product. A one-ounce tube of Mary Kay TimeWise Matte-Wear Foundation will run you just around $20, which we think is a huge steal.
4. NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint
This great skin tint has no oil thus it will not clog the pores. While it is matte, it has a creamy texture that will help you put it on without any problems.
The SPF 30 protects against any outside factors. It contains some rose fruit extract, which helps with the shine control and the transparent blurring powders it contains, minimizes the imperfections. It does not offer full coverage but smooths skin imperfections and evens skin tone.
- “The perfect product for those who are always in a rush!”
- “Smells nice and glides into the face smoothly.”
- “Gives the face a matte finish despite it being quite oily.”
- “It feels like a mousse.”
- “Blends better with a brush.”
5. Maybelline Dream Velvet Soft-Matte Hydrating Foundation
It promises freshness as it works in covering and mattifying your face. This is Maybelline’s first soft-matte hydrating foundation. It is ideal for normal to combination skin.
It contains twice more water than the Dream Satin Liquid.
- Dimethicone crosspolymer
- Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/sodium acryloyldimethyl taurate copolymer
- Synthetic fluorphlogopite
- “I love it. It matches the skin perfectly”
- “Velvety texture and long-lasting look.”
- “Makes my combination skin look fabulous.”
- “Velvety soft.”
- “Good value for money.”
Price: You can find it at $11.
6. Bourjois Air Mat Foundation
It comes in a creamy texture and is best applied with the finger. The result is a matte and luminous skin, without being too much or looking powdery. It covers quite well, better than medium coverage which is great for those that have skin issues.
It is better if you use a good hydrating cream before applying it. If you have dry skin, this is not the foundation for you. It is quite long-lasting and does its job well. It comes in various shades which makes it good for a lot of skin tones.
- Aqua (water)
- Ci77891(titanium dioxide)
- Methyl methacrylate crosspolymer
- Caprylyl method one
- Propylene glycol
- “I remained pleasantly surprised with how it fitted my skin.”
- “It does not feel heavy on my face, despite having a powdery right after you apply it.”
- “I believe it is great for any skin type.”
Price: You can find it at $27.
7. L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte 24 Hour Foundation
This foundation helps you achieve a matte look without feeling too heavy. It has an air-light formula and it is creamy and easy to use. Its semi-matte finish lasts up to 24 hours and it helps hide the little imperfections making your skin look smooth.
- Acrylates/polytrimethylsiloxymethacrylate copolymer
- “I love it. It dries to a perfect matte finish.”
- “Offers great coverage for my skin type.”
- “Keeps the skin from being oily.”
- “A good drugstore product.”
- “Gives a beautiful look and lasts in hot days as well.”
Price: You can find it at $10
8. Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Makeup
This foundation helps you have an impeccable look. It is great and stays on the skin for more than 15 hours without any change. It is resistant to heat and humidity.
It has a liquid creamy consistency but it dries very fast once you put it on your face, so you should blend it fast. Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Makeup does not cover the pores, is dermatologically tested and does not contain oil or perfume.
You can find it in a lot of shades with cool, neutral, or warm tones.
- Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone
- Butylene Glycol
- Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate
- “The best foundation I tried!”
- “It covers very well and resists all day long.”
- “The best on the market.”
- “I would not change it for anything.”
- “I love the perfect texture it gives my face.”
Price: You can find it at $42.
9. Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation
2018 Allure Best of Beauty Breakthrough Award Winner gives a soft matte and full coverage to the problem skin.
It is oil-free and works well no matter the season or where you are, as it is resistant to humidity and heat. It doesn’t look heavy when you’re wearing it. It is made for everyday use and specially intended to make women feel and look beautiful. It comes in 50 shades.
- “I love its beautiful finish.”
- “Blends well with the skin and lasts all day.”
- “I truly recommend this product.”
- “Great result, but need to blend quickly on the face.”
- “I discovered it and will not let it go.”
Price: You can find it at $34.
10. Milani 2-in-1 Conceal & Perfect Foundation + Concealer
Who would not want a good 2 in 1 makeup product? Milani offers this foundation and concealer to help you with the redness, eye circles, and skin imperfections. Though this may sound too heavy, it is lightweight and gives the skin a natural finish.
Ideal for all-day wear it comes in 29 shades so you have a wide range to choose from.
- Water (Aqua)
- Isononyl Isononanoate
- Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone
- Butylene Glycol
- “It goes well with my skin.”
- “Stays the same all day long.”
- “Love it.”
Price: You can find it at $10.